So, what makes some businesses highly successful in this media and others fail? Mainly it is the creative content and layout of the advert or impact of the message, but a hugely important secondary point is the way a lead is handled by the business when a call comes in. Here’s a list of the ten key things you should consider when you do any advertising.
- A clear, bold headline. There should be one central message that addresses the prospect with a benefit. The best way to achieve that is with a bold, clear headline that’s not cluttered up with other text. The best headline I know is for a Security company that uses – Business Owners, Buy back your freedom. Think about why that works. Also avoid using negative words, another headline we changed was Monitor Your Business that we changed to Secure Your Business. Just a one simple word change, means the same but comes across better don’t you think.
- A graphic that supports the message.The graphic should be easy to understand and add to the message the headline is trying to convey. Also, make sure your graphic is appealing. For instance, if you are a dentist, a picture of an attractive smiling model will help get that point across much better than before and after teeth pictures.
- Color or graphic backgrounds that pop out.Make the headline and other text stand out by using a color that stands out from the background color. When you look at the advert, ask yourself, “What do I see first?” If your answer isn’t the headline, you might want to tweak the colors, the background or the text.
- Subheadlines that lead into text. Prospects need 2 things in order to start reading the text in your advert. They need motivation and they need guidance. A compelling subheadline will give people that motivation and a place to start reading.
- Benefits, benefits, benefits. One of the biggest errors people make in advertising is stating features rather than benefits. Features are what you look for when you’re nearly convinced to buy a certain product, it certainly doesn’t draw you in at the beginning. What is your prospects decision-making process. How will you solve his problem? Make sure to create your unique selling proposition (USP).
- The offer.The offer usually includes 2 things: First, what is being offered, and second, at what price or discount. Your offer should be appropriate and believable. If you offer 95% off who would believe you, and if you offer 5% off who would care! A genuine 25 – 50% off is a believable and desirable offer. This can be interpreted as $20 OFF or HALF PRICE or 2 for 1 even. ALWAYS USE AN OFFER as it will result in more enquiries, and ultimately more sales.
- Your company name and logo.Although this needs to be in the advert, it shouldn’t overshadow the offer. Customers care most about what you can do for them.
- Call to action.Tell prospects exactly what you want them to do. “Call today for more information” or “Must end 20th August” or “10 only at this price” or even “While stocks last” are among the most common desired actions. It means DO IT NOW (before the phone rings).
- Contact information.Provide your name, phone number, and possibly your web address directly following the call to action. Whatever you ask prospects to do, give them the means to do it easily. However, if your website does not follow through from your offers in the advert, or your website does not have a means of capturing data please think about excluding it and having the prospects call you. At least you get the chance to ask their details.
- You You You.You must take control when you get a lead, they are gold. One advertiser at the end of last year was advertising those massive big air conditioning units for factories. He got a good number of leads but when the advert went out it wasn’t particularly hot so no one bought straight away. We asked him in February during a heat wave how many of these leads came to fruition, had he re-contacted them, and he told us that he hadn’t written any of them down. Crazy!
These are all simple steps that can really help to ensure you’re getting the best results possible on each campaign.